Saturday, November 23, 2013

Issue with Indic keyboard and SwiftKey on HTC One X

I recently updated my HTC One X with OTA Android 4.2.2 and HTC Sense 5. This new version comes with Indic (for Indian languages) and Vietnamese (don't know why was this added) keyboard. I prefer to use SwiftKey and have it installed on my phone. One issue that I found was that whenever my phone is rebooted ‒  either by me or some random crash ‒  my keyboard used to get changed from SwiftKey to Indic keyboard.

To let you know Indic keyboard is not the same as HTC Sense Input. Here's how it looks like.

Indic keyboard

And here's how HTC Sense Input looks like (for Sense 5).

HTC Sense Input
As I said there's also a Vietnamese keyboard but I did not dare to enable it, or rather I did not know how to enable it. But let's not digress from topic here.

With a little trial and error and some help from here I was able to fix it by following these steps. A little disclaimer here, just because these steps worked for me it does not guarantee that they will also work for you. Your mileage may vary and if your phone explodes after doing these steps then I am not responsible.

1. Disable SwiftKey by going to Settings > Language & keyboard. This should enable your Indic keyboard.

2. Go to Settings > Apps > All. Search for "keyboard" and you should be presented with two options ‒ Indic and Vietnamese.


In my case I can only disable the Vietnamese keyboard but not the Indic one.


Now disable the Vietnamese keyboard (unless you are using it). For Indic keyboard scroll down in App info and click on the buttons ‒ Clear defaults, Clear data & Clear cache. This would enable HTC Sense Input as your default keyboard. Restart your phone and check again if the HTC Sense Input is still your default keyboard.

3. Now open SwiftKey from your app drawer and it will walk you through the steps required to enable it. Follow them and you are good to go. Restart your phone again to check if SwiftKey is still your default keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment