Saturday, November 23, 2013

Beware of spam surveys for PayPal

Today I got an email from a very legitimate looking email ID survey@paypal.com which asked me to fill up a survey and in return I would get paid for it. I have a PayPal account and greed almost took me over until I noticed something odd. Below is the mail that was sent to me (emphasis mine).

Dear ABC XYZ,

In a continuing effort to provide our customers with the best possible payment experience, we randomly select customers like you to participate in surveys. Your feedback will help us to enhance your PayPal experience.

To complete the survey, simply click on the web address shown below (or copy the address into your browser). If you complete the survey, we will send you a check in the amount of $930 INR as a token of our appreciation for taking the time to share your opinions.

<URL>

Sincerely,

PayPal

If you look closely at the amount it says $930 INR. That's what prompted me to call up PayPal customer support and they confirmed this is a spoof mail and I (and you too) should not be responding to this mail.

2 comments:

  1. This was a totally valid survey just received the amount a few days back, expect that the actual amount happened to be INR 918.55. All the survey pages had valid HTTPS certificates. I did call up the PayPal India customer care and turns out they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure? Did you try to drop in an email to PayPal regarding this?

      Delete